JMI has now opened auditions for entry into its accredited music courses for 2019! Auditions are available by appointment from July up until the end of January 2019.
In 2019, JMI will be offering the following courses:
- Bachelor of Music in Jazz Performance (3-year full-time course)
- Diploma of Music in Jazz Performance (1-year full-time course)
- Certificate IV in Music Industry (for current high school students)
- Certificate III in Music Industry (for current high school students)
All accredited courses at JMI are recognised nationally by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) and Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).
Why study at JMI?
JMI is a unique educational institution that provides a learning experience like no other. Students have rated the overall learning experience at JMI higher than any other tertiary provider in the Creative Arts in Australia. This is due in no small part to the following factors:
- Community atmosphere – JMI has small class sizes that promotes a more personalised approach to learning whilst encouraging peer support and networking
- Renowned faculty – JMI’s faculty includes Australia’s finest jazz musicians and educators that are dedicated to going the extra mile for their students
- Performance & Industry opportunities – Students at JMI get plenty of live public performance opportunities every year. JMI provides over 100 paid public performances for students every year which gives students more opportunities to improve their performance skills and engage with the live performance industry
Why study jazz?
At JMI, we believe that if you are serious about becoming an accomplished performing musician, learning through a jazz curriculum will give you the skills you need to be successful regardless of what genre of music you want to perform. We view music as a language that requires a strong understanding of its rules and syntax to enable a deeper level of expression.
By studying jazz at JMI, students learn the language of music which gives them so much more depth to be able to express their own musical ideas. We choose to teach this through jazz music because by learning jazz, students learn more about the “why”. Why does this harmony sound good? Why doesn’t this melodic line sound good? By studying music through a jazz curriculum, we believe you learn more about the intricacies of performing music than you would studying a classical or contemporary music course. This will give you the tools to be a better musician in any genre of music.
How do I apply?
To find out how to apply for JMI’s accredited courses, please go to our How To Apply page. On this page is all the information regarding the audition and other entry requirements.
JMI also offers information sessions for any prospective students looking to find out more information on our courses. These sessions are available both during and after business hours, so if you would like to arrange an information session, please contact JMI by phone at (07) 3216 1110 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org